The information on this page is updated & accurate as of 10.27.22 at 10:00 am. We will update this page as we receive new information.
If you are an Ohioan seeking abortion access out of state due to restrictions or are at risk of missing your appointment because you don't have the funds, transportation, or are experiencing other logistical issues, please visit our help page for resources, fill out our intake form, or call our intake line at (614) 300-7811 (note: this line is a return system only, meaning you will need to leave a voicemail to receive a call back!).
BIG NEWS! A Hamilton county judge blocked Ohio's 6-week abortion ban through a preliminary injunction. This will stop enforcement of the ban indefinitely, restoring abortion access through 21 weeks & 6 days from last menstrual period.
Info to know when the ban returns to effect:
The ban requires patients to undergo tests to detect fetal heart tones prior to an abortion. If any cardiac activity is detected, abortion is prohibited except when there is serious risk of death or substantial impairment of a major bodily function. You can find more information about the enacted bill on the legislature’s website here.
If you need an abortion—time is ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL. For example:
- At six weeks, many folks don't know that they're pregnant
- This ban will decimate access to abortion in the state
- Providers could be prosecuted for performing abortions
- Studies shows that restricting access to abortion only harms our communities
- This ban does not make exceptions in cases of rape or incest
Information on safe, effective self-managed abortion via medication is available at the following sites:
Plan C pills - includes information and resources about medication abortion, including how and where to access medication abortion pills, and other general educational info.
Miscarriage and abortion hotline - confidential hotline of licensed healthcare providers available to answer (call or text) medical questions during your miscarriage or abortion. 5am-11pm PT/8am-2am ET 833-246-2632.
Repro Help Line — Managed by If/When/How, provides free & confidential legal information and support to help folks navigate laws on in-clinic abortion, self-managed abortions, and judicial bypass (for folks under 18).
Self-Managed Abortion; Safe and Supported (SASS) - this website provides information about how to use abortion pills to end an unwanted pregnancy, with or without a clinician.
Reprocare - Anonymous healthline that provides peer-based emotional support, medical information, and referrals to people having an abortion at home with pills. (Available call/text in Spanish & English).
About AFO and Abortion FundsAbortion Fund of Ohio (formerly Women Have Options (WHO/O)) is Ohio’s statewide abortion fund. Founded in 1992, we are an organization dedicated to helping Ohioans afford their reproductive choices. We believe that everyone should be able to make their own reproductive decisions—and we work to make that a reality in Ohio. We are a founding member of the National Network of Abortion Funds, which includes more than 100 abortion funds around the United States and overseas.
What We Do
- Many of our clients have Medicaid, but Medicaid does not cover abortion care in Ohio.
- We serve people who have an appointment at abortion clinics in Ohio.
- Patients access assistance through our partner clinics in Ohio during their initial visit to the clinic or through our intake.
- All of our funds come from private donations and foundations.
What About Ohio's Proposed Total Abortion Ban?Ohio’s proposed total abortion ban, House Bill 598 (also SB 123), is still in committee hearings. HB 598 has been heard in the House Government Oversight Committee three times thus far. While passing a ban can (and has previously) go quickly, the Ohio Legislature is currently on summer recess, meaning that they’d need to reconvene for a special session if they were to come back before the fall session begins in November. Stay up-to-date by following ourselves and our partners for credible, accurate information on abortion access in Ohio.
About Funding Abortion in Ohio
100% of AFO'S grassroots funds go directly back to our communities. Our staff & administrative costs are maintained by private grantors and supportive foundations. So far this year, AFO has already doled out hundreds of thousands in individual pledges & in-clinic grants to clinics both in and outside the state. Ohio has three funds that you can support:
- Abortion Fund of Ohio (formerly WWHO/O) is Ohio’s statewide abortion fund
- Aggie Fund is a Toledo-based fund (serves folks in NW Ohio)
- Preterm is a Cleveland-based fund (serves folks in NE Ohio)
Get Involved & Find Accurate, Updated Information on Abortion Access in Ohio
—> If you need help accessing abortion care, CLICK HERE. <—
—> If you would like to help someone access abortion care, DONATE TODAY. <—
—> If you would like to be notified when we have volunteer opportunities, CLICK HERE. <—
For a short list, here are just a couple orgs that you can look to (A-Z):
- American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio (ACLU of Ohio)
- Ohio Women’s Alliance (OWA) & Ohio Women’s Alliance Action Fund (OWAAF)
- Planned Parenthood Advocates of Ohio
- Preterm - Cleveland
- Pro-Choice Ohio
- National Network of Abortion Funds (NNAF)
- Restoring Our Own Through Transformation (ROOTT)
- Unite for Reproductive & Gender Equity (URGE)
Abortion Clinics Currently Open in Ohio
Southwest Ohio (Cincinnati & Dayton)
Northeast Ohio (Cleveland/Akron Area)
Central Ohio (Columbus)
Northwest Ohio (Toledo)
The following widget is from Abortion Finder. You can use this website to find a clinic that can perform abortions at your stage of gestation.