Crisis Pregnancy Centers (CPC), aka fake clinics, exist with the explicit intent to coerce pregnant folks out of abortion care. Many CPCs disguise themselves with language expected from an actual clinic, which can lure abortion seekers in crisis. Here are some key red flags:
- Provides limited or no health care or isn't a licensed facility
- Uses vague language in ads or name: "Hope Pregnancy Resource Center" or "Women's Choice Care Center"
- Financially dependent on anti-abortion legislatures & orgs
- Inappropriately projects religious/moral beliefs on patients
- Refuses to refer or recommend patients to abortion clinics
- Publishes misinformation re: "abortion pill reversal" and "consequences" of abortion; encourages patients considering abortion to schedule an appointment ASAP
- Advertises free pregnancy tests or ultrasounds without mention of additional services
- Targets low-income & marginalized communities
When searching for real clinics, you can use trusted sites like Abortion Finder and I Need An A. Both of these sites only list verified abortion providers. Google, however, will often list CPCs within the first 5 search results.
Unfortunately, fake clinics receive millions in state funding & outnumber Ohio's actual abortion clinics 20:1. One of the most impactful things you can do is learn to spot CPCs, educate your neighbors, and advocate against them!
You can find a full list of CPCs by ZIP code, city, or state at CrisisPregnancyCenterMap.com. A couple CPC chains in Ohio include:
The Women's Centers of Ohio
- Owned & operated by anti-abortion extremists "Elizabeth’s New Life Center, Inc,"
- ENLC measures success in the percent of "abortion-vulnerable/abortion-minded" people that they have prevented from accessing abortion
Heartbeat of [city name]
- Owned & operated by Heartbeat International, whose mission is to, "make abortion unwanted today and unthinkable for future generations."
- 3,000 locations
Birthright of [city name]
- Birthright International is headquartered in Canada, that focuses its time promoting, "It is the right of every pregnant woman to give birth and the right of every child to be born"
- 300 locations